In order to install a printer for your respective department you will need to access our file share for the department printers which can be found by connecting to printserver1. This is the campus network printer server, wherein printers are named based on department.
Here are steps for connecting to the network printers for PC:
1. Click "Start."
2. In the search box, enter: \\printserver1.fit.edu
3. Press Enter.
4. From the list of printers that appear, select the desired printer.
5. Right click the printer icon, then click "Connect."
6. After the driver is automatically installed, the printer should be added to the computer and appear in the "Devices and Printers" list.
If you are using a Mac computer, please follow these steps:
- Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
- Choose Print & Fax from the View menu.
- Click the "+" button to add a printer.
- Press the Control key while clicking the "Default" icon (or any other icon on the toolbar), then choose Customize Toolbar from the contextual menu that appears.
- Drag the Advanced (gear) icon to the toolbar (or right click the icon and hit add to toolbar).
- Click Done.
- Click the Advanced icon that was added to the toolbar.
- Choose Windows from the Type pop-up menu.
- In the URL field, type the printer's address in the following format:
(If the name has a 'Space' character, replace it with '%20'. Example: 'Canon IT' becomes 'Canon%20IT')
- In the Name field, type the name you would like to use for this printer in Mac OS X.
- From the "Use" drop-down list select "Select Software" and search for your printer's model. This should be easy to find by looking on the printer itself.
- Click Add.
NOTE: These steps are for Mac OS X v10.5 or later, if you have an older version please refer to this document here.