How to Connect to Student RDS for PC and Mac Users
*** IMPORTANT: ***
You will need to go to the website: http://itservices.fit.edu/tssa and agree to own the license to activate the software before you can use the sofware on the StudentRDS server.
For Windows (For Mac instructions click here)
1. In the search box in the start menu type, "Remote", choose Remote Desktop Connection
2. Then type studentrds.fit.edu, this will allow you to login to a server set up for remote access, using your tracks ID
3. The default setting will allow the clipboard to be accessed, but if you want to be able to drag and drop files into your computers hard drive you can also enable local drives by clicking "Show Options" on the menu above. They will show up under the Computer menu on the server.
4. Once you click Options, then choose "Local Resources", and more and it will enable to file drag and drop option once you log in.
5. Click OK.
6. Click on the "Advanced" tab, followed by the "Settings..." button under the 'Connect form anywhere' section.
7. A screen will pop up titled "RD Gateway Server Settings". Use these settings:
- Under "Connection settings":
- Server name: "portal.fit.edu"
- Logon method: "Allow me to select later" (Default)
- Check "Bypass RD Gateway server for local addresses" (Default)
- Select "Use these RD Gateway server settings:"
- Under "Logon settings":
- Check "Use my RD Gateway credentials for the remote server" (This keeps you from needing to login twice)
8. Click 'OK', then 'Connect'.
9. Click on Choose another account, then enter your credentials, including the domain fltech:
10. Click OK, and the remote session will open.
11. Click OK to the Terminal Server Legal Agreement reviewing it if necessary.
To connect to Student RDS from a Mac, download Microsoft Remote Desktop* for free from the Apple Store. If you have an older version please install and use the newer one from the link above.
*Note: The version of Microsoft Remote Desktop installed with Office products for Mac will not work.
1. Once Microsoft Remote Desktop is downloaded, open it and click "Preferences."
2. When the "Preferences" screen pops up click the '+' in the lower-left corner to add a new gateway.
3. Use the following settings for the gatway:
- Gateway name: "Portal"
- Server: "portal.fit.edu"
- User name: <add user account>
- Username:fltech\username (i.e.: fltech\jdoe2000)
- Password: YOUR_PASSWORD
4. Close this screen.
5. Back on the main page click the "Plus Button" (+), then click "Add PC"
6. Add the following settings:
- PC name: "studentrds.fit.edu"
- User account: pick the user account that was created in the previous stages.
- Friendly name: This can be whatever you like, we suggest: "StudentRDS"
- Gateway: From the dropdown, select the Gateway you created in the previous section.
- The rest of the options can be left in their default state.
- There are many things you can configure if you go to the other tabs at the top of the "edit pc" window. There you can choose the Screen size and whether or not you want to share drives, etc. All these are optional, and they can be left untouched if desired.
7. Close this page.
8. Double-click the connection from the main screen to connect to the server
9. It will then log you in.
IMPORTANT: Remember you will not be able to connect until you go to the website: http://itservices.fit.edu/tssa and agree to the terms and conditions
Tags: network, portal, remote desktop, studentrds